It's no secret that I'm scamming experiments from wherever I can find them. But I'm making them better. Stronger. Faster.
Or something like that.
I needed a quick one for this morning so we went for sugar density. It's got color and sugar. The only problem is that it sometimes it's hard to do right. Good times.
One of the tips was to start with the least dense liquid and then progressively layer denser liquids (of different colors, of course) below. The first two, separated by only one tablespoon of sugar per half cup, kind of blended. But when we skipped the three-tablespoon mixture and went to four-tablespoons it wouldn't mix at all.
So... if we were to do it again I'd have a two tablespoons difference between each layer.
Clara was happy to what I did, but Lilly wanted to do it herself. She made a loverly brown liquid. It was probably pretty sweet, too.
We wrapped up by checking on the sugar crystals from last week and popped our one successful sugar rainbow into the freezer.
It turned out really nicely, much better than the lousy slow crystals. We're going to pull the plug on those lousy crystals next week. Then we're going chemical to get some shiny pretties.